Please review prior to volunteering
General Guidelines for Volunteers provided by Alabama Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (ALVOAD):
– DO NOT attempt to volunteer for any activity if in the last 14 days you have:
• Traveled to any foreign country or to California, Washington, New York, Washington D.C., or Chicago (this list may change on short notice)
• Been on a cruise or been in an airport
• Been around anyone who has COVID-19
• Been to an event where more than 250 people were in attendance
– DO NOT show up to volunteer for any activity without confirming that there is a need for the activity, that it will be conducted, and that volunteer support is needed and expected.
– BEFORE arriving for a volunteer shift, call ahead to the service agency and ask if any additional safety precautions should be taken before, during and after the shift.
– ALLOW extra time for additional screening from volunteer organizations or agencies to make sure you are cleared to volunteer for the task.
– EXPECT that shifts or opportunities may be cancelled; especially volunteer opportunities working with the vulnerable populations. Please be gracious and understanding.
– DO practice universal infection control precautions. Clean and wash your hands before, during, and after volunteering.
– DO clean any used spaces thoroughly before and after, including tabletop surfaces and doorknobs/handles.
– DO use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if needed for the task.
– DO maintain 6-10 foot separation from others while conducting the task.
– ASK about any risk that may be associated with the task and DO NOT take part if you are uncomfortable with the level of risk.